Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] testing outside building with our USRPs

From: Bill Stevenson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] testing outside building with our USRPs
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 13:08:49 -0800 (PST)

From: David Burgess <address@hidden>
To: Daniel O'Connor <address@hidden>
Cc: Bill Stevenson <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:27:07 AM

True.  The brute force approach is to get a few big-a RV batteries and an inverter.  We got a good deal on a 400 W inverter a couple of months ago, $30 for a 400 W unit at Home Depot.  The inverter draws at least 10 W just sitting idle, so you'll take a hit on efficiency, but that might not matter for your application.  Put it all on a cart and roll it back to the lab/shop/whatever every evening for recharging.

-- David

On Dec 1, 2008, at 8:37 PM, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 December 2008 13:23:49 Bill Stevenson wrote:
>> Thank you for your information about the laptop power rig. But our problem
>> is we have to use eight USRPs as our nodes in our experimentation, and we
>> do not have so many laptops, so do you know how to get 110-220 voltage
>> input for our computers when testing outside? Thank you!
>
> You could parallel up a few car batteries and run the PCs off an inverter.
>
> The power requirements are variable depending on your PCs of course :)
>
> --Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> "The nice thing about standards is that there
> are so many of them to choose from."
>  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
> GPG Fingerprint - 5596 B766 97C0 0E94 4347 295E E593 DC20 7B3F CE8C

David A. Burgess
Kestrel Signal Processing, Inc.

Thank you, David and Daniel! I found a very handy power system that could be easily used for outside testing. It might be useful for other Gnuradio fans who want to test for free space comm.

http://www.batteriesareus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=139_25&products_id=113

Bill