[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: tun/tap OS X for tunneling

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: tun/tap OS X for tunneling
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:22:48 -0500

Mark Kuhr <address@hidden> wrote:
Has anyone gotten tun/tap running on OS X 10.5 so they can tunnel packets to the USRP?

tun/tap has been mentioned before on this list, but I know of noone who's actively using it with GNU Radio on OSX; if anyone is, please speak up! Hence I'm going to try it out & see what it does. Can you / someone provide me with a quick example script to test the functionality of a tun/tap device, with or without GNU Radio?

Please note that the pre-compiled PKG version (not the source which you would then compile) of tuntaposx is meant as a universal binary for 10.4 or higher, but not specifically compiled for 10.5. Given that this is a kext, that might make a difference in correct functionality (or not).

I've submitted updates to MacPorts to correct the compile behavior of "tuntaposx" source code, to allow it to compile correctly on, and specifically for, 10.4 and 10.5 when using MacPorts. I expect those change to propagate through the system in the next couple of days. If anyone wants these files (as an archive which can overwrite that provided by MacPorts) for testing purposes, I'm happy to provide them. - MLD