[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: usrp2 not found -- Please Help!!

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: usrp2 not found -- Please Help!!
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:29:18 -0800

Your problems are mostly answered in the FAQ:

   http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/USRP2UserFAQ

See inline for my specific recommendations.

address@hidden wrote:
Since sending the original note we have continued to try to resolve our problem
to no avail.  I am attaching ifconfig output as I saw Matt ask someone else on
the list to provide that.  I also see discussions pointing to a possible
problem with the RTL8169 card, which is the card we have.  If you know more
about this, please let us know.

The card works for some people, but not others. In any case, this card and its drivers have problems with Linux in general that have nothing to do with the USRP2, and it is very slow since it is on PCI. Even if it was working for you, it is recommended that you get a better card, preferably with PCIe. You can get PCIe GigE cards for about $15.

We are also wondering why we cannot mount the USRP2 SD card when we attach it
to our PC with the SD card adapter that we got from you?  How is the card
formatted to hold the firmware?  What mount command would allow us to see the
files written to the card?  The u2_flash_tool appears to write to it -- we got
the latest trunk versions of both the txrx.bin and u2_rev3.bin files and put
them on one of our SD cards.  We thought that might help the find_usrps command
have success, but nope.

As discussed in the FAQ, the card does not have a normal filesystem, and cannot be used how you are attempting to use it. You need to follow the directions on the web page and only use u2_flash_tool.

We tried enabling IPv6 but had no luck after doing that either.

The USRP2 does not use IPv4 or IPv6.  It uses plain ethernet frames.

Just received our order and we're trying to test with the find_usrps program.  We're
running Fedora Core 6 and the USRP2 is being recognized on eth0 (per dmesg output).  We
see an IP being assigned (do you know where that comes from?) and we see "eth0: no
IPv6 routers found" in dmesg.  Do we need to enable IPv6?

Those messages are normal. You need to turn off DHCP and just assign an unused IPv4 address to make your computer happy. Just do "ifconfig ethX 192.168.123.123"

Also, how can we tell what version of the trunk we have?  I pulled down 10180 today, but
I also loaded our other Linux laptop with trunk code on 12/10/08 -- did not note the
version. I'm wondering if they're the same.  Our SD cards have "9939" written
on the cases, and I'm wondering if that version needs to match the trunk version?

9939 should work with the host software in the current trunk.

We have the SD card in all the way.  The D and F LEDs remain lit.  We've tried
both units and switched cables and cards to try to pinpoint any hardware
issues, but all seems to be functioning as expected.  So why can't we talk to
the units???

If D and F stay lit then it means that the USRP2 is fine. The problem is most likely your ethernet card.

Matt