RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intel Atom is NICE.

From: Bob McGwier
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intel Atom is NICE.
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:00:51 -0500

I did do the install.  BEWARE, steps are required.  PAY ATTENTION.

You need to do a BIOS upgrade to the Dec. 2008 version of the BIOS.

I chose to use the ISO to CD ROM and boot from the CD ROM.  I tried several
times to flash the BIOS and it never succeeded.  If I hit F2 after reboot it
said that I still had the old BIOS.  On reboot each time, it said I had a
checksum error.

IF ANYONE CAN SHOW ME WHERE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS IT SAYS THIS IS A TWO PASS
PROCESS OR WHERE DURING THE COURSE OF DOING THE FLASH IT SAYS THIS IS A TWO
STEP PROCESS, I WOULD BE PLEASED TO BE TOLD I AM BLIND.

After you do the boot to the ISO CD ROM, and you tell it run,  it runs and
then reboots.  YOU ARE NOT DONE.

On the second reboot,  it THEN flashes the BIOS and succeeds.  I was
removing the CD ROM each time after boot  "so it wouldn't do it again" and
the checksum error was its BRILLIANT message that it had failed to read the
image on the CD.  Give me a break!

After that was finally accomplished,  the Ubuntu 8.10 and F10 CD/DVD
respectively started without a kernel panic.  Also, the BIOS setup page
reveals a new banner page saying "Intel 64 Bit processor compatible" and not
"EM64T Processor capable".

I have compiled and done make distcheck on Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64 and it works.
The GigE works.  I just did all of this yesterday and have not had a chance
to plugin in my USRP2 yet.

Bob

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"And yes I said, yes I will Yes", Molly Bloom