Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Distcheck error on latest trunk

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Distcheck error on latest trunk
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:02:20 -0500

On Jan 22, 2009, at 11:43 AM, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:39:25AM -0500, Michael Dickens wrote:
After further investigation, this is a SWIG 1.3.37 bug.

I retract this statement. I'm no longer sure if it's a bug. Issuing "swig -help" in the different versions results in:

1.3.36:

-outdir <dir> - Set language specific files output directory <dir>

1.3.37:

-outcurrentdir - Set default output dir to current dir instead of input file's path -outdir <dir> - Set language specific files output directory to <dir>

This seems to imply a "split" in where output files are written:

* By default in 1.3.36, all files are written to the output directory (the one from which the 'swig' command was called).

* By default in 1.3.37, C++ files are written to the output directory, while non-C++ files are written to the input directory (the one containing the input .i file). To get the output directory correct, one now needs to specify "-outcurrentdir" (or "-outdir .", which should be backwards compatible back to about version 1.3.20). It is clear from SVN [1] that this change is intentional, hence I'm inclined to believe that the SWIG docs are just out of date and this is a new feature in 1.3.37.

[1]
http://swig.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/swig/trunk/Source/Modules/main.cxx?r1=10945&r2=10947

Thanks for looking into this. What platform configuration are you using that is shipping 1.3.37?

MacPorts keeps pretty up to date on most releases, which can be a good or bad thing.

I will submit a bug fix to the SWIG folks, since there
doesn't seem to be one yet

Great.

I will submit a complaint to them, to resolve this issue. If they want to go with the "split" system that's fine, but it broke backwards compatibility and should be highlighted somewhere ... and the documentation needs to be updated to reflect this -important- change.

That said: The state of use of SWIGPYTHONFLAGS in individual components
varies significantly (some do not even us it, instead just recreating
those flags in the local Makefile.am) and should probably be cleaned up.

That would be a useful patch.  Thanks for volunteering :)

I'll get there. I'm inclined to include "-outdir ." in SWIGPYTHONFLAGS just to provide both backward and forward compatibility.