[Discuss-gnuradio] Purpose of extra two bits sent to FX2 chip with data

From: Paul Creekmore
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Purpose of extra two bits sent to FX2 chip with data samples
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 00:30:58 -0500

The FPGA on USRP1 sends an extra two bits of data with each 16-bit word (to the FX2 chip).  If I'm not mistaken, the first bit is set when accompanying a sample from rx channel 0, and the second bit is set when accompanying an inphase (as opposed to quadrature) sample (presumably from channels 0, 2, 4, or 6).

* What significance do these two bits have in the handling of the data after the FPGA?

I'm trying to figure out how best to set these bits in the case of packed samples at lower quantization levels.

Thanks,
Paul