Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Analyzing FFT for multiple maxima

From: John Clark
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Analyzing FFT for multiple maxima
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:44:38 -0800

Paul Mathews schrieb:
Here's a screen shot of FFT output:

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp28/optoeng/2peaks.jpg

The image is typical, in that there are multiple narrow local maxima, but
the amplitude of these particular peaks is quite a bit higher than I expect
'in the field'. I'm trying to work out an efficient way to compute the
locations and relative amplitudes of these maxima. Can someone please
suggest either an algorithm and/or the most similar gnuradio application
that I can examine as candidates for this analyis? Thanks.
Paul Mathews

I thought Analog TV was going of the air in the US... The difficulty is that when the FFT is taken from the real world, and the signal tends to the noise level, most 'peak' detection algorithms fail,
well, have lots of noise in the 'accept' condition...

So, long term averaging, and 'knowing' that a peak would appear at offset x from the right or
left side of the spectrum will be more likely to succeed.

John Clark.