Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New implementation for fusb_linux withoutallocs/f

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New implementation for fusb_linux withoutallocs/frees
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:00:23 -0800

Eric Blossom wrote:
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 01:07:34PM -0500, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
Eric Blossom wrote:
Marcus, in my experience, USB performance has not be limited by cpu
cycles.  It seems to be primarily a function of the design of the host
controller, the firmware in the device, and a reasonable way to get
the data into user mode.  In most apps I've benchmarked, the overhead
of all usrp related stuff is typically on the order of 5 to 10% of the
total cycles consumed.

Eric

OK, so improving total USB cycle counts in user mode from 10% to 5%
perhaps wouldn't noticeably improve
  things like overruns--is that what you're saying?

Overruns are generally caused because your signal processing can't
keep up, not that there's a problem with handling the USB.

So, in your experience what is the sh*t-hottest USB controller out
there, and is it available on a PCI or PCI-E card?

Once the controller can handle 32MB/s, you're golden.  Pretty much any
of the onboard controllers over the last few years work fine.

Measure twice, cut once. Time be time.

It is important to make sure that your system is not throttling back the CPU because of heat or power saving modes.

Matt