Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Discuss

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Discuss
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:50:00 -0400

On Mar 15, 2009, at 2:10 PM, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Philip Balister <address@hidden> wrote:
On a related note, does anyone know why the usrp code has to look at value obtained from the internals of libusb? With libusb-1, this value is no
longer accessible.

We use libusb for housekeeping, but interact directly with the file
descriptor it creates (for performance reasons).

It's something we'll have to revisit soon as distributions move to libusb-1.

The USRP's FUSB code for Darwin / OSX does the same thing with libsub 0.1.12: use LIBUSB for parsing currently available USB devices & related housekeeping, and making use of LIBUSB's internal structures and variables to find information about the file descriptors but using custom code to do the actual data I/O (again, for performance reasons: libusb 0.1 series provides only synchronous data I/O on Darwin).

IIRC, the libusb 1.0 series currently works only on Linux but does provide an API for extending to other platforms. This OS limitation, obviously, makes it an issue for GNU Radio & other solidly cross-OS projects.

That said, there is a "libusb-compat-0.1 compatibility layer" for libusb 1.0 ... anyone tested this out for various-OS usability? Reading through the source code it looks like Linux-only.

< http://libusb.wiki.sourceforge.net/LibusbCompat0.1 > - MLD