Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP2] Some problems by sending sinusoidalsignal

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP2] Some problems by sending sinusoidalsignals. :-(
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:49:28 +0100

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 02:37:07PM +0100, Costantini, Andrea wrote:
> Frequency is set to 2.4GHz. But I didn't sync the clocks.
> I am at the beginning of my research with USRP2 and I didn't expect I would
> have need to sync the clocks for such a preliminary experiment with sinusoidal
> signals.
> Can you please point me to some reference on how and why we do it? In the
> meanwhile I'll continue to search in the archive.

I'm afraid you misunderstand, although probably I wasn't clear enough
and I must admit your pictures show the centre frequency - my apology.
At 2.4 GHz, a frequency offset of a couple of kHz is normal, i.e. you
don't need to sync your clocks if all you want to do is check if the
sine wave was transmitted. If you wanted to build a real communication
link, you would need a frequency sync at the receiver. This is something
you can read up on in any good book on wireless communications.

MB

--
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Braun           Phone: +49-(0)721-608 3790
Institut fuer Nachrichtentechnik  Fax:   +49-(0)721-608 6071