Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] LW/AM/SW radio very cheap in laptop?

From: Firas Abbas
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] LW/AM/SW radio very cheap in laptop?
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 02:35:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

--- On Thu, 4/2/09, John Gilmore <address@hidden> wrote:

> There's another chance to get kids into radio...
>
> If a high volume kids' laptop had stereo "HD audio" ports available
> (24-bit 192 kHz converters, 95 db input and 100 db output), how cheap
> and small a circuit could you build onto that motherboard to provide
> useful LW/AM radio reception?
>
>     John

Here is my 2 cents:

1) AM signals known to be strong, RF Gain may not be required.

2) Undersampling can be used to downconvert/digitize AM signals.

3) RF Tunning is the problem. We have to think for away to use the voltage from
one of the audio output ports to control a bandpass filter center frequency
(voltage controlled filter).

4) Software demodulation.

Best Regards,

Firas