RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] BBN 802.11b questions

From: Danilo Valerio
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] BBN 802.11b questions
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 22:38:56 +0200

Hi Colby,

> Hi All,

> Has anyone looked into implementing the higher bit rates (5.5Mbit and
> 11Mbit) of 802.11b using complementary code keying (CCK)? If CCK does have
> to be implemented from scratch, would it be more beneficial to implement G,
> which would provides a large number of speeds with one scheme (OFDM)?

A student from us is working on implementing IEEE802.11p (yes, "p" - it is not a typo) with GnuRadio and USRP2.
In order to do this he will first look into 802.11g and 802.11a.
He started his master-thesis some weeks ago. Therefore, results are not yet expected very soon.

> Also, does anyone know if the BBN code on the USRP could communicate with
> hardware 80211b (ASIC) equipment? I've heard that there are issues with ack
> latency. If there is a problem, did the BBN people bother to implement the
> acks in their code?

We have tried in these days to transmit broadcast frames from a wifi-card to the USRP2 and viceversa.
Broadcast does not require ACKs, but still no success... :-(

> Regards,
> Colby Boyer

Best Regards,
Danilo