Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Simultaneous RX/TV with RFX2400

From: Jakub Moskal
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Simultaneous RX/TV with RFX2400
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 00:16:37 -0400

Hi Michael,

my intention is to allow a communication between two USRP's hooked up
to two different computers. Each USRP has one RFX2400 daughterboard
and one antenna connected to the Tx/Rx port.  I have a more of a CS
than ECE background and my focus here is on the application level. I
would like the radios to be able to send and receive messages
asynchronously - which can mean asynchronous communication at the
application layer, but synchronous below - perhaps not even observable
above. In my scenario, radios send messages which are read from some
buffer and at the same time receive messages and put them in a
different buffer for further processing. How do I go about
implementing such scenario? Do I have to implement a protocol which
consists of some time-based switching of rx/tx? Can I achieve it with
only one antenna per USRP, or do I need two of them - one for Tx//Rx
and one for Rx2 port?

I imagine that in the case of only two radios, I could achieve this
behavior by allowing one radio to Rx while the other is Tx-ing and
after short time, switching the direction to the opposite, to allow
the first radio to Tx. However, I don't see how this could be achieved
if 2+ radios are involved - without the prior knowledge of the number
of "neighbors". That is why I thought each radio should be allowed to
Tx and Rx at the same time.

Thank you for help!
Jakub.