Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Standalone USRP1 Operation

From: Tony Naggs
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Standalone USRP1 Operation
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:52:02 +0100

Hi

I don't yet know a lot about the USRP, but I do know about USB.

The short answer is that the PIC 18F4550 processor will not help.
USB needs a "host" (typically a PC) that times & controls each data
packet and a "device" to talk to. Optionally a hub is both a device
and relay of timing & data to further devices. Both the PIC processor
and the USRP are devices, and cannot talk to each other.

Also the USRP documentation says it needs "USB2", which I think means
it needs the "High Speed" data transfer of USB2. Whereas the PIC
18F4550 only supports the lower transfer speeds of USB1.1, and is USB2
compatible in the sense that it works with USB2 Hosts.

Some of the 16-bit and 32-bit PIC processors have a USB Host port, or
at least can operate a USB "On-The-Go" (OTG) port in host mode - but
I'm not sure if they support "High Speed" (HS) mode, and you will need
a lot of software to control the USB.

An easier path would be to look small processor boards such as those
that support embedded Linux.  For instance the web page for the
Gumstix Overo Earth says it has a "USB HS Host" and a micro SD slot.
(Not micro SDHC - so you are limited to, I think, 4Gb cards.)
See:
http://gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=211

Cheers,
Tony