Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Standalone USRP1 Operation

From: firasmail2000
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Standalone USRP1 Operation
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 01:50:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

> On Fri, 4/24/09, Tony Naggs <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> The short answer is that the PIC 18F4550 processor will not help.
> USB needs a "host" (typically a PC) that times & controls each data
> packet and a "device" to talk to. Optionally a hub is both a device
> and relay of timing & data to further devices. Both the PIC processor
> and the USRP are devices, and cannot talk to each other.

So USB device can only talk to USB Hub.Thanks for this clarification.

> Also the USRP documentation says it needs "USB2", which I
> think means it needs the "High Speed" data transfer of USB2. Whereas
> the PIC 18F4550 only supports the lower transfer speeds of USB1.1

I mentioned PIC16F4550 as an example for mcu that has a USB port. Actually, I
didn't checked whether it supports HS or FS (Sorry for bad example).

> An easier path would be to look small processor boards such as those
> that support embedded Linux.  For instance the web page for the
> Gumstix Overo Earth says it has a "USB HS Host" and a micro SD slot.
> (Not micro SDHC - so you are limited to, I think, 4Gb cards.)
> See:
> http://gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&roducts_id=211

Thank you for your suggestion, but I'm looking for cheep and simple method to
load USRP firmware.

Best Regards,

Firas