[Discuss-gnuradio] BPSK Demodulator (i.e. Receiver) Award/Challenge

From: René Fléron
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] BPSK Demodulator (i.e. Receiver) Award/Challenge
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 04:16:21 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Community,

We've been working with USRP and Gnu Radio for various tasks in our Cubesat
project for some time now. Recently we thought of using the set-up (Linux
Ubuntu, USRP (1) and Gnu Radio / GRC) for receiving, decoding and recover
data from our ground based payload. We are not flying the USRP onboard our
satellite but want to use it for the in-field test of the ground based
payload.
Through-out the project we've been searching for any BPSK receiver (anything
like: an off-the-shelve radio, add-on modules for existing radios, DIY radio
kit or perhaps USRP and Gnu Radio). Nothing.
Yes, I have searched this forum for previous posts (I found 89 threads on
BPSK), none of them have a solution/design.
I seriously doubt that making a regular BPSK receiver that goes all-the-way,
i.e. recovers the transmitted data has ever been done. We haven't found any
trace of anything be it commercial, research or DIY.

Desperate times calls for desperate measures.
If you can make a BPSK receiver that will run in Gnu Radio (preferably GRC
as I'm not a programmer) I will buy you a cake of your own choice from one
of the internet cake delivery companies. If you want "1. prize details" have
a look at our webpage with the offer:
http://www.dtusat.dtu.dk/index.php?id=112

Dead-line is 11. May 2009 - after that the conclusion is: BPSK is not an
I.R.L. thing but merely a mathematical curiosa and we'll go for one of the
more ordinary modulations.

Questions are off course welcome.

PS: The transmitter run at 868 MHz.

Cheers,