Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why d_phase in Costas loop different in gr_costa

From: Jason Uher
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why d_phase in Costas loop different in gr_costas_loop from gr_mpsk_receiver?
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 07:32:21 -0500

> Why is the d_phase equation different in these two files?
> d_phase += d_alpha*phase_error; // In gr_mpsk_receiver.cc
> and
> d_phase = d_phase + d_freq + d_alpha * error; // In gr_costas_loop.cc
> The d_freq term is omitted and I don't understand why.

gr_costas_loop is wrong, and gr_mpsk_receiver used to have the same
error and has since been updated.  The frequency component of the
rotation has already been added to the current phase estimate during
de-rotation of of the samples (in mm_sample, I think); so here all we
have to do is update the phase estimate by the estimated error.

I would also check your version of gr_costas_loop to see if the phase
estimate is clipped, or wrapped.  There was an error where the phase
was clamped to 2*pi rather than rolling over, which would cause an
error once the phase drifted that far; this has also been fixed in the
latest version of mpsk_receiver.

Jason