[Discuss-gnuradio] Some development questions

From: Jonathan Coveney
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Some development questions
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 15:50:40 -0400

Hello, bare with me, as I am new to GNU radio. I've pored over a lot of the docs and have a couple of questions.

For a school project, I'd like to help GNU radio out in some way (I'm developing in OSX). If this email should be elsewhere, let me know.

1) What is the barrier to getting a gnuradio ports command? Is it simply that there is not someone to do it, or something more? I feel it'd be really nice if you could just do "sudo ports install gnuradio" and it'd get you to the point where you have everything you need such that, theoretically, you can make it and run the dialtone app. It seems to me the only BIG barrier is that the current stable build only works with python 2.5 (because there are other packages which HAVEN'T been udpated to newer versions of python, even 2.6, so without 2.5 they won't work etc). Either way, if it's not insurmountable, I'd be willing to develop this because I think it'd be helpful, but I'd be curious to pick brains about why it hasn't been done and what obstacles are in the way.

2) This is more indiciative of my lack of RF knowledge (working on fixing that), so if you have a resource that answers this, please give. Is there a GNU radio app that let's you grab as many radio stations as possible? Not necessarily to even listen to at that time, but perhaps to grab as many as possible and then decode them after the fact so that you could listen to them later or something (my goal is to get a corpus of radio broadcasts, but I think this could be useful for other reasons to). If this hasn't been implemented, is it feasible?

Thanks for your time
-Jonathan