Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sound input using mic / line in problem

From: Karthik Vijayraghavan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sound input using mic / line in problem
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 00:12:30 -0700

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:05 PM, John Gilmore <address@hidden> wrote:
> gr-audio-oss and gr-audio-jack. The sound module being used is
> snd_hda_intel.

In my experience, there seem to be endless permutations of problems
with snd_hda_intel ("HD Audio").  Even in newer Linux releases like
Ubuntu 9.04.  I don't think I have a single machine on which
snd_hda_intel is trouble-free -- including an HP Athlon64 desktop, a
Dell Atom netbook, and an Acer Atom netbook.

(which may or may not have anything to do with your problem.)

       John

Thanks for the pointer. Adding a line in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base which specified the model of my computer helped (Dell Precision), more details here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto. However, the inputs in ALSA don't get correctly mapped to the actual physical inputs. For eg, the "Front Mic" on ALSA was actually the rear line-in. This only solved the problem of being able to get the example program running without any device busy errors or lockups. To be able to actually record sound, I had to install jack and play around with the settings for a bit. When using gnuradio I also added audio_module = audio_jack to the gnuradio config.conf file.

Karthik