[Discuss-gnuradio] Suggestion to Improve Some Digital Modulations Recept

From: Firas A.
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Suggestion to Improve Some Digital Modulations Reception
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:14:52 -0700 (PDT)

I never used Gnuradio packets transmission blocks and even don't know how
the digital benchmark_?X.py work. But, today when I was explaining GNURadio
for some friends, I noticed that some digital modulations (for example GMSK)
reception can be improved by using a scrambling engine which is something I
used before many years ago to improve data reception circuitry performance.

The problem is raised when the digital source is producing a long sequence
of 0's or 1's. This will make the regeneration process more difficult at the
receiver. To solve this problem, I used 8 bit shift register with its input
derived from  XOR which is fed from the source digital input and from a
second XOR. The second XOR takes its input from the 4th and 8th shift
register bits. Implementing this circuit as a GR block is easy and helpful.

Best regards,