Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] very bizarre antenna function

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] very bizarre antenna function
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:09:27 -0700

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 15:36 -0400, Jonathan Coveney wrote:

> I've attached a picture of my setup w/the antenna. My goal is to be
> able to clearly capture as many stations as I can, can anyone
> recommend something? How do cars or clock radios do it?

(Your photo is swapped left-to-right--it looked at first like you were
using TX slot B instead of RX slot A until I figured this out.)

Is that an antenna supplied by Ettus Research?  It looks like the 900
MHz or 2.4G antenna.

These are worse than inefficient at 100MHz; they might even be close to
the equivalent of a short or open circuit at that frequency.

Try taking a 2.5 foot piece of wire and inserting it into the center pin
of the SMA connector at the front of the USRP.

Johnathan