Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP 2 on PowerPC - any issues?

From: Jörg Lotze
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP 2 on PowerPC - any issues?
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 08:12:55 +0100

Eric Blossom schrieb:
On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 06:34:49AM +1000, Geoff wrote:
On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 03:20:47 am Eric Blossom wrote:
On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 04:49:17PM +0100, Jorg Lotze wrote:
Hi,

has anyone successfully used the USRP2 with a PowerPC Linux? I am
planning to use it on an embedded system with a PowerPC Debian Linux.

Jorg
The current code won't work on big endian machines, and it also does
unaligned loads which won't work on PPC.

This will all be fixed as part of the conversion to VRT.

Eric

This is interesting news. Hopefully it means that I will be able to get Gnuradio running on one of my hppa boxen :-). I recently acquired a well spec'd rp5470 that'd be perfect for the task.

I suspect that we won't run on hppa since IIRC it has a virtual mapped
cache, which I suspect will kill our mmap-based circular buffer trick.

If you've got some time, please try to build it --disable-usrp2
--disable-gr-usrp2
on your hppa and let me know if it passes make check.

FWIW, the rest of GNU Radio runs fine on PPC / big-endian machines,
just not the usrp2 interface.

Eric

What's the status of the VRT work? Any rough ideas when it is going to be usable? Saw that some work in progress VRT code has been merged into the trunk recently.

Jorg