Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Clear my fundamentals

From: Alexander List
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Clear my fundamentals
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 19:21:00 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
Message: 2
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 10:17:59 -0800
From: Josh Blum <address@hidden>
To: Blue Boy <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

Blue Boy wrote:

Hello Everyone,
           My first post:
    I am a windows kernel programmer by profession.Recently my interest
has grown for SDR gnuradio.I an new to this field so I have newbie
doubts.I would welcome if you just point to some links for my answers.
 1] What is usrp cfile format? complex/float but whats stored in numbers
 like amplitude/intensity/phase difference etc.

Its a binary file containing 64-bit complex numbers where each 64 bit
complex number is 2 32-bit floating point numbers corresponding to to
the real and imaginary parts of a complex number.

 2] Is frequency also stored in the cfile ? or we have to assume
frequency from file name? How to reconstruct complete/sampled signal
from Cfile ?

You need to know the sampling rate and baseband frequency, the file is
just raw data samples without any context.

Hi Josh,

I have a related question: Is there anything like an (upcoming) industry standard for recorded SDR samples, *including* the metadata? I guess that would make it a lot easier to exchange recordings between different platforms, and would also save people from the hassle of encoding metadata in the filename or an external data source.

I guess NetCDF would be one possible way - it's widely used e.g. in the geosciences:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/usage.html
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#whatisit

Of course we would have to define the schema for SDR data...

Alex