Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] about use of BBN 80211 code in frequencies other

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] about use of BBN 80211 code in frequencies other than regulated ones
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 10:34:12 -0500

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Rafael Diniz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello people,
> Have anyone tried to run the BBN 80211 code in frequencies lower than
> 2.4GHz (using RFX400 for example)?
> Does it works fine? I'm thinking if it's possible to make links using
> 802.11 in bands like the VHF or UHF ones (and why not HF), that can take
> advantage of a better radio propagation, especially in areas where radio
> regulation do not apply (indian reserves, isolated communities in rain
> forest, ...).

Finding 20MHz worth of bandwidth that is open in HF is impossible.

With great radio propagation comes great responsibility.  Instead of
your neighbor barely hearing you, you are now constantly shouting in
their ear.  Probably a situation that won't end nicely.

That is not to say you couldn't try changing the bandwidth of the
overall waveform by slowing down the chipping rate or come up with
other ways to limit the bandwidth to be more friendly in the spectrum.

Brian