Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Irregular sampling of input stream

From: Mattias Kjellsson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Irregular sampling of input stream
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:25:21 +0100

> I don't want to reconfigure the graph at run time, but I want to minimize
> the use of CPU on my parallel path.  Essentially, this extra path is 'raw'
> USRP samples which are really only required when packets are successfully
> received.
>

> Otherwise, the main path is a classic digital radio one, moving from samples
> to symbols to bytes.  I just want to save time by not processing *all* of
> the raw samples all the time on the extra path.  Maybe this is not possible.

One idea to do this would be to use a carrier- probe (look in
gnuradio-examples/python/digital/benshmark_rx.py), and look at it's
state. The probe is basically a power- threshold, so if you have a state
change from muted to unmuted, you may save the previous few buffers.
Have a look at the gr_message_*- classes...

I think you could do it with some sort of callback function, which looks
at the state of the probe and depending on the state drops the message
in the queue on the floor, or saves it to some other buffer, maybe puts
it in a message- source, which is connected to a file- sink or similar.

When I do testing I hook a file- sink to the output of every block in my
flow- graph. The files get very big very fast, but they should be
manageable if the measurement is "short".

Regarding real time/synchronization. There is a gnuradio real time
library, gruel, which is kind of useful, have you had a look at that? If
I remember correctly, the gruel- lib sets the priority to about 75% of
maximum priority.