Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Boost 1.40 won't build on OSX 10.6

From: Ed Criscuolo
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Boost 1.40 won't build on OSX 10.6
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:08:34 -0500

Michael Dickens wrote:
Hi Ed - The 3.2.2 release cannot easily be made to be fully working on OSX 10.6, but the complexity depends mostly on whether your computer's CPU is 32- or 64-bit.

It's a brand new MacBook Pro with 2.8 GHz Intel Core2 Duo, so as far as
I know it's 64-bit.

* If your computer's CPU is 64-bit, then you have 3 primary choices to get GNU Radio going (at all) on 10.6:

1) If you insist on using GNU Radio 3.2.2,

This is preferred...

then you'll want to limit
compilation to just 32-bit mode by setting the CFLAGS (et.al.) to include "-arch i386" (I think) -- and do without native audio support

Sound's not critical, so this has possibilities.  But I can't even get
past the ./configure until I get Boost 1.40 to install.

2) Move to the GIT master, and limit compilation to just 32-bit mode -- and you should get full GNU Radio functionality (assuming you can get all of the background dependencies installed, e.g., via MacPorts).

Also has possibilities.  But MacPorts has been the real problem so far.
I can't get the dependencies (specifically Boost >=1.35) to install.
And I've now broken my previously-working GnuRadio 3.1.3
installation. :(

3) Move to the GIT master, do 64-bit compilation -- and do with<out> a GUI.

Not really acceptable for our application.  We want the GUI stuff.

I hope this isn't too confusing! Ask more if this doesn't help enough. - MLD

I really need to figure out the problem with the MacPorts dependencies
not installing.  Any clues would be appreciated.  I'm sure this has to
do with the fact that I used Apple's migration assistant to move my
account onto the new laptop (including the MacPorts stuff and GR 3.1.3).
My old laptop was running 10.4, and now I'm afraid I've got a mix of
32 and 64 bit stuff installed.  But 3.1.3 and GRC 0.69 DID run after
the migration.