Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] anyone have success with USRP2 @ 20MHz to the hos

From: Dan Halperin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] anyone have success with USRP2 @ 20MHz to the host cleanly?
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 10:40:01 -0800

On Nov 22, 2009, at 10:11 AM, George Nychis wrote:
> Has anyone here had any success with receiving 16-bit samples from the USRP2
> @ 20MHz to the host without an onslaught of overruns?  I did some searching
> on the list and some people suggested a RAID configuration, but this is my
> poor little laptop.  Just wanted to get a general consensus.

20 MHz @16bps is 80 MB/s right? That's just not going to work on a laptop hard
drive without doing some major compression. I wrote a gzip_file_sink at some
point in the past but the libz compression was too slow to even keep up with 8
MHz @ 16bps. You could try looking for an alternate compression algorithm. I
hear LZO is faster for instance.

IMO the best option for a laptop is an SSD. I do get about ~80 MB/s sequential
write with my Intel SSD. But 160 GB isn't a lot if you're going to be doing 20
MHz sampling!

Dan