Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] still a newbee

From: Kieran Brownlees
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] still a newbee
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 22:24:10 +1300

For the usrp_am_mw_rcv.py; if you have an USRP you should just be able to run it and it will work, ie (may need to be in the right directory?):

python usrp_am_mw_rcv.py

As for making in GRC I am afraid I cannot help much since I never use it. It shouldn't be to hard to pick up the level of python needed to create a flowgraph however. usrp_am_mw_rcv.py seems to be pretty much what you want; look at how the flow graph is connected in there to get an idea of what blocks you will need in GRC.

This is the line which describes all the blocks in the flow graph:

self.connect (self.u, self.chan_filt, self.am_demod, self.audio_filt, self.volume_control, audio_sink)

You should only need self.u (ursp source), chan_filt (anti aliasing and down sampling), and am_demod to get an audio signal which you can hear. Important to remember to downsample to the correct freq! Ursp ADCs run at 64 MS/s so with max hardware decim (250) the samples come in at 256KHz, meaning you AA / downsampling filter needs to decimate a further 8 to get to 32KHz (probably what your sound card runs at). In usrp_am_mw_rcv.py they use 4 decim in chan_filt then 2 in audio_filt so will need to take that into consideration and not just use their filter coefficients ;-).

Hope that helps,
Kieran