Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on MacOS X 10.6.2

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on MacOS X 10.6.2
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 08:03:50 -0500

Hi Andreas - I can talk to one of your issues:

It doesn't built because all the makefile templates are called Makefile.am and not Makefile.in. If I remember correctly this depends on the autoconf tool versions. I'm using the ones which come with MaOS X (autoconf 2.6, automake 1.10). Copying Makefile.am to Makefile.in in all the directory tree made it compile.

You need to run 'bootstrap' to convert the .am files to .in files, then 'configure' to convert .in files to their final form. You'll need to rename one of the commands in 'bootstrap' from 'libtoolize' to 'glibtoolize' ... this latter command should already be installed with XCode on 10.6.2. It's GNU's version of 'libtool' ... Apple has their own version which can be used to compile executables to run on OSX, but Apple's version isn't compatible with GNU's version -- hence the name change (prepending the 'g' to GNU's version).

If the above doesn't answer your question, then you'll need to be more specific. You can also review my "GR on OSX install guide" on radioware.nd.edu , which discusses various issues in the OSX installation and how to work around and / or generally deal with them.

One thing I've also noted is the lack of support for USRP2 which has truly astonished me. Given MacOS X and Linux differ very little on the API's of network interfaces, I can't understand why the Linux variant wouldn't run under MacOS X. Can anyone shed some light on what's stopping it from working?

I'll let Eric give the definitive answer, but I think we're waiting for VRT support to be finalized. You can search the GNU Radio archives for more info on VRT.

Good luck with GNU Radio on OSX! - MLD