Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] article: "No-knob" radio: the future ofWarfighte

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] article: "No-knob" radio: the future ofWarfighter communications?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:37:46 -0800

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 18:43 -0600, Jeff Brower wrote:

> I would think that some statement from NI clarifying continuation of open
> source status and GPL licensing for GNU
> radio software (and hardware and FPGA logic, very crucial) would be
> re-assuring to GNU radio developers and users, as
> well as users-in-planning -- such as US Army guys mentioned below.  Unless
> the acquisition hasn't actually closed yet,
> then the only thing I can guess that might be holding up NI is if they need
> to tweak their wording, for example
> mention items that might be excepted from GNU licensing if they conflict with
> one of their many patents.  The block
> diagram user interface in GRC would be one possible example.

See prior email from me regarding GNU Radio software status.

In short, GNU Radio is a product of the Free Software Foundation, not
Ettus Research, and will continue to be licensed for use and
distribution under the terms of the GPLv3.  The USRP1/2 host driver
software that exists today is part of that, and will be maintained.

NI/Ettus Research announced they will develop a new driver for USRP2 and
will dual-license under GPL and non-GPL.  GNU Radio will be able to use
it.  Corgan Enterprises, Blossom Research, and Ettus Research are all
working together to make this transition smooth.

Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enteprises LLC