Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Daughterboard

From: Jason Uher
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Daughterboard
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 14:15:02 -0600

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Johnathan Corgan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:24, Jason Uher <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> ...with the RFX900 you can transmit safely in the ISM band.
>> And others as long as you are below the transmit power thresholds
>> (which are quite low).
>
> I (perhaps mistakenly) thought that in order to be in compliance with
> FCC rules to intentionally transmit within ISM bands using low power,
> the transmitter needed to be "pre-approved" by having an FCC type
> acceptance certification.  I'll will be happy to be found wrong on
> this count, as it has been a long time since I've studied the
> regulations.  Even so, this doesn't address the original poster's
> question about cellular bands.
>
> Johnathan

You are right, unless your device is pre-approved by the FCC you can't
legally transmit in unlicensed bands.

I was under the impression that the USRPs status as 'test equipment'
allowed transmission in unlicensed bands (like the ISM) without
needing the part 15 approval as long as it was below a certain
effective radiated power level, as if a user were developing a new
product prior to part15 certification.  That may not be true.

Jason