Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Possible bug in the vrt branch firmware?

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Possible bug in the vrt branch firmware?
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 01:58:58 -0800

If our library is providing a standard call to set the timestamps of
returned samples, shouldn't the standard or default way to do it
result in those timestamps being accurate wallclock UTC realtime,
rather than "counting up from zero" or from a random number?  If by
default our streams of samples came back with accurate nanosecond
timestamps, that would be a big plus in the long run.  You could later
sync up signals from receivers all around the world; recordings would
contain the time when the signal was received; etc.

Any computer on the Internet can easily sync using NTP to within about
10 ms or so, to set the high order bits.  And anyone with a PPS clock
hooked to their USRP would get real cesium-linked timestamps.

        John