Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MAC layer development and USRP2

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MAC layer development and USRP2
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:52:54 -0400

Think of it this way...

MAC *development* is severely limited by GNU Radio... it lacks the
much-needed functionality to make information passing between the
blocks rich, simple, and bi-directional.  Some of the  building blocks
are in place (e.g., PMT), and the m-block was implemented to solve the
rest of the problems, but was deprecated (maybe removed as of now?).

MAC *performance* is limited by several things: 1) delay between GNU
Radio and the USRP/USRP2, 2) signal processing delay (GNU Radio), and
(3) jitter (e.g., unpredictable delay) ... (1) is reduced a little by
USRP2 using GigE, but it's still not down to traditional MAC
turnaround times (10s of us).  (2) benefits from Moore's law.  (3)
kind of depends on whether you use realtime scheduling and how your
data hits delays in queues mainly.

All in all... still an open problem IMO.

- George