Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Burg spectral estimation

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Burg spectral estimation
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:18:44 +0200

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 01:25:41PM -0400, Brian Padalino wrote:
> If you don't mind, I am curious of your experience of the Burg versus
> Welch implementation and results - which do you prefer?  It looks like
> Burg translates to frequency domain first, and Welch stays in the time
> domain?  Any idea how much of the bandwidth can be occupied before the
> algorithms are not relatively accurate anymore?  In the presence
> high-noise, are the algorithms still able to detect the tones in your
> current setup?

Welch is quite similar to what the GR FFT sink does, and will work with
any kind of spectral content (it is "non-parametric"). Burg needs some
a-priori knowledge of what you're about to expect ("parametric") and
will only operate well if your a-priori assumption reflect the
signal(s).
Actually, it estimates the filter coefficients of an AR process
(so, technically, it operates in the z-domain). The spectral estimation
output is gathered by running that result through an FFT.

In high-noise, and with little knowledge, you have no choice but use
Welch. A cool application of Burg is to track narrow-band interferers
from only a handful of samples. The pictures on
https://www.cgran.org/wiki/SpecEst were made with a few thousand samples
for Welch, and only 512 samples for Burg (and way less calculations).

Cheers
MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)