[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP1 Rev 4.3 Benchmark_tx/rx transmit/receive is

From: Phillip Walsh
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP1 Rev 4.3 Benchmark_tx/rx transmit/receive issue
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 19:08:59 -0600

Solved it:

Installed an old version, GnuRadio 3.1.1, I had on disk and the rev 4.3 USRP1s seem to work fine now on that.

Is this a known/common issue?

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Phillip Walsh <address@hidden> wrote:
I am absolutely stumped, any help with this would again be greatly appreciated.

Last week I had a question trying to get USRP2 to work in my MAC testbed.  I decided not to worry about that for the time being and borrowed 2 USRP1s from another research group to finish a project.  However, I am not unable to get benchmark_tx/rx.py or obviously tunnel.py to work with these USRPs as I have hundreds of times before with the other USRPs.

My first 2 USRP1 are Rev 4.5.
I have 4 RFX2400 Rev 30, tested all successfully on 4.5.
USRP1s in question are Rev 4.3.
GNU Radio 3.3.2

The Rev 4.3 transmits a waveform that appears on rev 4.5 FFT as a good gmsk (tried dbpsk also) signal.  I set the TX amplitude to 5000 and RX gain to 30, but have tried many many values.  The rev 4.3 will not successfully decode the rev 4.5 signal either.

Literally when I swap the USRPs out with the exact same set up, it works with rev 4.5 boxes.  I have tested the usrp 4.3s including FFT, siggen, etc. and everything else seems fine other than packet decode and correct transmitting.  I also tried RFX900's between those two with no avail.

I've tried all the parameters I could think.  Do I need to use a specific older GR revision?  Special decimation, interpolation, samples/symbol, etc?

As a side note: the simple reliable MAC I have implemented which includes RTS/CTS (w/ threshold), ACK, multi-hop, multiframe transmit is working great (so far).  I look forward to publishing it for the community when I finish this project.

Regards,

Phil Walsh
Auburn University