[Discuss-gnuradio] LNA, frequency mixer and oscillator

From: Ahmad Zaki Yaacob
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] LNA, frequency mixer and oscillator
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:46:03 +0800

Hi all,

I have a USRP2 and a BasicRX. I am new to GNURadio and I am still
learning. I have successfully tested the USRP2 with BasicRX. What I
have read so far the BasicRX is capable of receiving RF signals from
1-300MHz. But on the FFT window generated by the GRC, it will only
display up to 100MHz, limited by the maximum samples. I have searched
through the discussion list that the frequency is wrapped and the
BasicRX needs a frontend RF circuit.

Basically I will need a LNA, a frequency mixer and an oscillator. To
my understanding, if I multiply the RF input signal with 100MHz, the
whole band ranging from 100MHz - 200MHz will be brought down to
0-100MHz. So I can display it to the FFT window. If I want to scan
200MHz-300MHz, I shall multiply the RF signal with 200MHz. Please
correct me if I'm wrong.

I have been browsing minicircuits to get the parts needed and I'm not
sure if I got everything right. As for the LNA, I have the ZFL-1000LN+
http://www.minicircuits.com/cgi-bin/modelsearch?model=ZFL-1000LN%2B&search_type=info

For frequency mixer, I have found the ZFM-3+
http://www.minicircuits.com/cgi-bin/modelsearch?model=ZFM-3-S%2B&search_type=info

For oscillator, I have found the ZX95-200+
http://www.minicircuits.com/cgi-bin/modelsearch?model=ZX95-200%2B&search_type=info

Are these components correct and enough for me to build the RF frontend?

Thank you for your answers.

Regards,
Ahmad Zaki Yaacob