Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] XML Editing Tools

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] XML Editing Tools
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:14:51 -0700

I feel wiki markup is the best way to go. Its friendly on the writer and makes for readable diffs. I dont like the idea of checking in generated docbook xml.

We could use restructured text http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReStructuredText and docutils to convert it to xml, html, etc.

-josh

1) To convert usrp_guide.xml  to html  file:

      $ xmlto
html-nochunks usrp_guide.xml

2) To convert the same file  to PDF file:

$ xmlto  --with-fop  pdf
usrp_guide.xml

Of course , we need the following dependencies:

- xmlto
- xmltex
- fop

I am interested to have a wiki-based markup, where the wiki
code could be rendered into doxygen xml by a small python script (or just
strait to html, it doesnt need to integrate with doxygen).

Its easier  to write wiki code than xml, and its easier to maintain
documentation code  checked into the git repo (and keep it version specific).

What do you  think about a wiki-based solution to extending gnuradio
documentation?

Josh

It is a good idea. If you decided to write such code, please keep in
mined to use redmine wiki markup.

P.S: I want to warn you that I failed to
convert doxygen xml files to PDF files. They seems not to be a standard
docbook xml files.

Best Regards,

Firas