[Discuss-gnuradio] Trunking receiver on CGRAN

From: Nick Foster
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trunking receiver on CGRAN
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:24:55 +0000

Hi all,

Just wanted to post quick and let you know I uploaded a trunking scanner for
Motorola Smartnet systems to CGRAN: https://www.cgran.org/wiki/Smartnet. The
scanner is capable of logging the output from all conversations on the entire
trunk in real time, and saves them to disk as .wav files sorted by talkgroup ID
with an accompanying .txt file containing timestamp information. Please see the
CGRAN page for further details. This program competes directly with Motorola's
$150k logging receiver, and provides a way for users to corroborate media
accounts and deconstruct complex emergency responses across multiple services.
It could be used in the service of public accountability by groups wishing to
maintain a public archive of their local system.

Please note that laws regarding scanner possession, use and recording are
complex and vary widely by jurisdiction; use of this program may be illegal in
your jurisdiction, and it is up to individual users to determine the legality
of possessing or using this software in a particular way in their particular
area.

Please notify me of bugs, suggestions, and your improvements.

Thanks,
Nick