Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] find_usrps "No USRP2 found."

From: Steve Glass
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] find_usrps "No USRP2 found."
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:43:49 +1000

Hi,

Further to my problem trying to discover the USRP2. From a cold start
(the USRP2 was left without power since my last posts) I configure the
GigE port using ethtool and enable TX pause frames (this seems to be
necessary magic on my PC). I then run this at the command line:

while true; do clear; find_usrps; sleep 1; done

and watch the output. For the first 30 seconds or so I get the device
MAC address then "No USRP2 found." From a real cold start this takes a
little longer so I got as far as running usrp2_fft.py -f 925M and that
guarantees I lose connectivity. Have removed the power and lid on the
USRP2 and see U12 which is a large-ish package and gingerly touch it. It
is indeed quite hot. Once the device has stopped responding even
removing the power for a few minutes is not enough to make it functional
so a heat-related failure of the PHY chip seems plausible. Before I go
about requesting a return authorization is there any other diagnostic I
can perform?

Many thanks to all (especially Marcus) for your help

Steve