Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] find_usrps "No USRP2 found."

From: Steve Glass
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] find_usrps "No USRP2 found."
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:17:00 +1000

Jeff Brower wrote:
> U12 is the PHY.  PHYs tend to run somewhat hot, so likely what you're seeing
> is Ok.  But, with the top off, you could
> try pointing a large fan at the chip, and see what happens again from cold
> start.  If the fan reduces the chip surface
> temperature to the point where you can hold your finger there (at least for
> 30 sec or so) and you still have the
> connectivity issues, then you can rule out a chip/board/heat problem.

The power has been disconnected for about an hour and I removed the lid,
pointed the  fan at the device and powered up. find_usrps fails to see
the device although the link is up and the packets are being sent to it.
I can hold my finger on the chip for no more than 4-5s. I concluded
we're in dodgy PHY chip territory but Matt has suggested I remove the
WBX daughterboard and see if the USRP2 responds. find_usrps worked for a
few minutes but eventually fails. The unit is now being returned.