[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP vs USRP2

From: Manne Tallmarken
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP vs USRP2
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 13:37:57 +0200

Hello all,

I want to start expereiment with software defined radio but can't make up my
mind which one of the usrp and usrp2 is the most suitable.
I am new to FPGAs but want to start playing with these as well. I use GNU/Linux
and GCC as much as I can.

Some questions:

The usrp and usrp2 uses FPGAs from different manufacturers so I assume the
development environment will differ as well. Is anyone of the two more suited
for a linux system than the other? I don't want to pay any license costs (and
I'm glad if I can use the dev environment longer time than a trial period...
btw, I am a student).

To play around with a FPGA on a system like this, will I need the extra size
and speed xilinx spartan 3 gives me? (Maybe I want to bruteforce some cryptos,
doing some FIR filters or event wavelet transformations)

Since the usrp2 only have one tx/rx channel I would need two usrp2's to get the
same number of tx/rx channels as the usrp and this is not currently an
affordable option. In which cases will I need two tx/rx channels? Examples?

The usrp2 is faster in many ways. In what applications will I need the extra
speed and extra bandwidth? Examples?

Any other cool stuff I can do with one of the boards but not the other?

Are gnuradio programs written for usrp compatible with usrp2?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Manne