Solved: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio under Ubuntu under Parallels on MacP

From: HR Myler
Subject: Solved: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio under Ubuntu under Parallels on MacPro dual Quad core
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 15:45:24 -0500

On 05/16/2010 04:34 PM, Harley Myler wrote:
Hello all,

I have gnuradio running per se.

I have seen an error "USRP2 failed to enable real-time scheduling". Does that mean that I have a configuration issue with Ubuntu and the ethernet system?

The MacPro has two ethernet ports, one is connected to the Internet (eth0) and the other to the USRP2 (eth1).

I tell each routine to use eth1 (with the -e option) and that seems to work.

I believe at this juncture that the computer is talking to the USRP2 and that the WBX is correctly configured. I received the following output from USRP2 Probe:

After seeing a post by Josh Blum stating that I should run HUD because he thought that since "the usrp2 gnuradio driver has a linux specific packet ring, and therefore wont work on a bsd environment." I was momentarily outraged. Does it not often seem that if you are not running what (the ubiquitous) "they" are running the answer is always the same? Go get on a different system is just the easy way out.

Then I thought to myself, "he said that because the underlayment of OSX is indeed BSD." Of course, I was running BSD when Josh was in diapers, but that is beside the point. It is also of no consequence that I exclaimed out loud "THERE IS A GOD!" when Apple announced that it was moving it's platforms to Unix. I digress...

It was clear I was on my own, so I started searching. I then discovered "ethtool" and found that it did not want to tell me what the so-called pause parameters were for eth1. Then I remembered what Josh had said and thought again to myself, "maybe the problem <shudder> is on the Mac side". This was heresy, but what the hey it's only bits and my time, and good grief I have spent enough of the latter on this game.

Lo and behold, the Mac Network control panel for Ethernet 2 was set to full-duplex, flow control! Ahhh-Hah! So, switching that allowed the data to flow, literally. Now I have a USRP2 that is doing as it's told, life is good. Who said you can't run gnuradio on a VM?

• Apple Mac Pro 2 x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM

• Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)

• Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac build 5.0.9344/Rev 558741 2/5/2010

• Ubuntu Linux 10.04 LTS (What have you kids done to Unix?!)

• gnuradio whatever...

• USRP2 w/WBX daughterboard

Now the fun can begin. Thanks for all the tips!

CONFIDENTIALITY: Any information contained in this e-mail (including
attachments) is the property of The State of Texas and unauthorized disclosure
or use is prohibited. Sending, receiving or forwarding of confidential,
proprietary and privileged information is prohibited under Lamar Policy. If you
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail
from your system.