Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC control of GPIO pins

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC control of GPIO pins
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:32:03 -0400

>> Anyway, can the GRC program access the GPIO bits of the daughtercards? I
>> didn't see anything in the list of available elements. I am guessing it
>> just is not there, but the alternative would be to build the radio with
>> GRC and then just edit into the source that it builds. Any tidbits there
>> would be welcome.
>>

> rule of thumb: Dont edit the generated code.
> Rather, make a custom block that suits your needs and add it to grc.
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio/GNURadioCompanion#Adding-Custom-Blocks
>

> -Josh

I'll echo Josh' sentiment here.  Also, judicious use of "import" of your
own functions, and weaving them
  into appropriate spots within the standard GRC framework can get you
very far as well.

But, it would be nice if there were a more general way to include "open
code" within a GRC-generated
  flowgraph.  No simple, elegant design immediately leaps to mind, however.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium