[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Daughterboard bandwidth

From: Matt Robert
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Daughterboard bandwidth
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:31:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi guys,

I have two questions about the USRP's architecture that I have been unable to answer from looking around.

1) I understand that when a daughter board is tuned for Rx, the exact frequency is not always possible, so the receiver tunes to the nearest possible frequency and the 'requested' frequency is the  sythesized in the DDC. Coming from a conventional RF background, I don't understand why the receivers can only tune to specific frequencies - is it something like resolution in the digital control of the VCO's in the receiver? (Just my guess)

2) What is the raw bandwidth of the output of a daughterboard? The USRP2 can process a 25MHz wide chunk so I'm guessing its at least as big as that.

Cheers,
Matt