Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gigabit Ethernet cards

From: Daniel O'Connor
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gigabit Ethernet cards
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 16:08:08 +0930

On 09/07/2010, at 1:31, Marcus D. Leech wrote:

> On 07/08/2010 11:50 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
>> Since you said PCI, I'm assuming this isn't a PCI Express box we're talking
>> about here, since that changes everything.  A single lane PCI-e slot is
>> capable of 250MB/s throughput, if the chipset can keep up.  Typical server
>> GigE cards for PCI-e can have two or four ports and need a four lane slot;
>> if you have dual PCI-e x16 slots, use the secondary x16 slot in x4 mode.
>>

> I have a PCIe x16 slot on the mobo, it's a GigaByte GA-880GM-UD2H, so I
> guess what I really need is a
>  PCIe GiGE card.

I use this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033 in
my home (FreeBSD) server.
(When I ordered it it came with full height and LP plates but I didn't get it
from Newegg so YMMV)

Never used it with a USRP2 though, however Intel em cards are widely regarded
as being very good.

If you really did mean PCI instead of PCI express then I think I had one of
these in an older server..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106122&Tpk=PWLA8391GTLBLK

It was also an excellent performer.

are so many of them to choose from."