[Discuss-gnuradio] UHD driver/firmware stability

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD driver/firmware stability
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:34:47 +0400

Hi Josh,
                   Is the UHD driver/firmware stable? Or are the current versions still under development?

Test case 01: Incorrect sample rate value (e.g. 100k) raises an exception, subsequent attempts with correct values do not get a response from the USRP2.

Regarding the previous crash when passing incorrect sample rate values, I tried to replicate the crash again, with 100k sample rate setting, and it terminates.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  No devices found for ----->
addr: 192.168.10.2

However, after you set it back to a valid value of say 100M, it still doesn't work, requiring a full reboot of the USRP2.

Perhaps this was because of an unhandled exception?

Test case 02: Setting the correct sample rate (e.g. 25M) works once, after that it doesn't work.

Attempt #1 - 25M sample rate setting

Generating: "/home/elvis/Desktop/grc-examples/top_block.py"

Executing: "/home/elvis/Desktop/grc-examples/top_block.py"

Current recv sock buff size: 50000000 bytes
Current send sock buff size: 50000000 bytes
Using: WBX TX (0x0053)
Using: WBX RX (0x0052)
RX samples per packet: 362
TX samples per packet: 363
Recv pirate num frames: 33967
gr_block_executor: source <gr_block uhd simple source (1)> produced no output.  We're marking it DONE.

>>> Done

Attempt # 2 - 25M sample rate setting

Generating: "/home/elvis/Desktop/grc-examples/top_block.py"

Executing: "/home/elvis/Desktop/grc-examples/top_block.py"

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  No devices found for ----->
addr: 192.168.10.2

Test case 03: Setting the maximum USRP2 sample rate (100M) doesnt work, it switches to 25Msps.

Generating: "/home/elvis/Desktop/grc-examples/top_block.py"

Executing: "/home/elvis/Desktop/grc-examples/top_block.py"

Current recv sock buff size: 50000000 bytes
Current send sock buff size: 50000000 bytes
Using: WBX TX (0x0053)
Using: WBX RX (0x0052)
RX samples per packet: 362
TX samples per packet: 363
Recv pirate num frames: 33967
The hardware does not support the requested sample rate:
    Target sample rate: 100.000000 MSps
    Actual sample rate: 25.000000 MSps

gr_block_executor: source <gr_block uhd simple source (1)> produced no output.  We're marking it DONE.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson