Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio land speed record?

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio land speed record?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:01:41 -0700

On 07/30/2010 09:33 AM, Clark Pope wrote:

I'm curious what people do with the wideband capability of the
gnuradio/usrp and what is the widest bandwidth signal one can really
process with available computers?

For reference I have a ~2.4 GHz core 2 duo laptop. For a 200 kHz FM
demodulator I consume about 40% of one cpu. That's pretty much the
simplest useful thing anyone can do so that maps to my laptop might
be able to process 1 MHz bandwidth continuously.

Similarly, my hard drive can't really keep up with 32 Mbyte/s
recording. So if samples are 16-bit and you really can't afford lost
data it seems like recording is limited to maybe 10 MHz or so
bandwidth.

However, with gigabit Ethernet you can send 100 Mbyte/s or more.
What's the most anyone has recorded or processed continuously? What
level of compexity was the processing?

With RAID arrays or SSDs, it isn't that hard anymore to sustain 100 MB/s recording to disk. With 4 and 6 core systems and the i7 architecture you can get more than 5X the performance of your laptop.

There are a lot of applications using the full 25 MHz of RF bandwidth. You just need to pay a lot of attention to efficiency of your program and algorithms.

Matt