Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Universal device API, parameter standardization?

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Universal device API, parameter standardization?
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 13:10:42 -0400

On 08/05/2010 12:56 PM, Moeller wrote:
  Hi all,

I was wondering, why lots of the examples only work for USRP 1 and not
for USRP 2. I tried diff with a few files. There was really not much difference,
except the different import library. Can gnuradio programs be designed somehow
universally, looking into a global configuration file what device is the
standard device
or introduce a simple switch between different hardware (USRP1,2, Audio, other
SDR ...) ?

I have the impression, that the UHD driver goes into this direction, but only
for Ettus products.

Non-Ettus products can also support UHD.

Philip

Could gnuradio itself be designed in a way to use abstract data aquisition
sources ?
Many parameters can be shared, like center frequency, decimation, samplerate
etc.
Of course there may be some hardware specific parameters, that can be made
optional.
So, an application can be written in a generic way, then choosing the hardware
just
with a switch, or use a system configuration for a standard device.
Gnuradio could be a nice educational tool with some cheap (100$) data
acquisition
modules, not as complex as USRP, but with higher sample rates as audio input.
I would like to use it as a spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope (as a better
alternative
to my old analogous CRT without storage).

In my offline signal analysis programs I use an API that is independent from the
signal source and format. Lots of metadata parameters provide a full
specification.
So an analysis procedure can handle all stuff, no matter if it's complex
baseband,
IF or RF. In gnuradio, you have to tell the sinks explicitly, if there are real
or complex
samples coming in. The spectral diagram does not know about the centerfrequency,
so the frequency axis is not automatically correct. You could handle this by
global
variables, but with metadata attached to signals, this could be done all
automatically.

Moeller