[Discuss-gnuradio] scaling issue on USRP2

From: George Nychis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] scaling issue on USRP2
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 18:26:41 -0700

Whenever I send samples to the USRP2, I scale them between -1 and 1, such that the absolute value of the greatest real, and imaginary, component is 1:
scale= 1 / max([abs(real(signal)),abs(imag(signal))]);
signal = scale * signal;

I confirm that no real or imaginary components exceeds -1 or 1.

However, when I transmit using my scaled signal, I get some major clipping:

clipping.JPG

If I do not scale my signal, I get a nice clean waveform:

not_clipping.JPG

Has anyone else noticed a problem when scaling on the USRP2?

Thanks,
George