[Discuss-gnuradio] Dynamic range questions

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Dynamic range questions
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 22:12:25 -0400

I have an application that must operate in the 25MHz to 40MHz region,
with a channel having a nominal bandwidth
  of 50Khz to 700KHz or so. The Rx center frequency may be anywhere in
the 25MHz to 40MHz region.

My question is about dynamic range requirements when operating a
receiver in that neighbourhood of the
  spectrum.  It's not a neighbourhood I've habitually "hung out" in, so
I don't have any intuitive feel
  for how crowded it is, with emphasis on the Rx being in "deep rural"
locations.  My suspicion is that
  things like GSM receivers have a much worse time of it, and do OK with
14 bits of A/D.

Is it likely that I'll need to do narrower analog filtering in the RF
front end, to avoid dynamic range issues?  It's more convenient
  if I don't have to do that, but specific Rx locations could have
analog filters installed to more closely match their
  specific Rx frequencies.

Cheers

--
Marcus Leech